MATLAB & Simulink
Polyspace for C/C++ Code Verification
Hands-on Course with Practical Exercises
This two-day course discusses the use of Polyspace® Code Prover™ to prove code correctness, improve software quality metrics, and ensure product integrity. This hands-on course is intended for engineers who develop software or models targeting embedded systems. Note that day 3 is optional and is only available for on-site trainings.
Creating a verification project
Reviewing and understanding verification results
Emulating target execution environments
Handling missing functions and data
Managing unproven code (color-coded in orange by Polyspace products)
Applying MISRA-C rules
Reporting analysis results
Techsource Systems is
Mathworks Sole and Authorised Distributor and Training Partner
The aim of the course is to provide the participants with the knowledge on using Polyscape Code Prover to do verification, diagnostic and MISRA-C Compliance checking.
Who Must Attend
Engineers who develop software and model for embedded system target.
Strong knowledge of C or C++.
Day 1 of 2
Polyspace Workflow Overview
Objective: Become familiar with Polyspace Bug Finder and Code Prover and work through an introductory example
-Software development workflows with Polyspace
-Simple verification example
-Analyzing defects and run-time errors
Polyspace Bug Finder Analysis
Objective: Analyze code that may not be ANSI C compliant and account for the run-time environment, and correct defects and coding rule violations using Bug Finder.
- Common run-time environment artifacts
- Handling processor-specific code
- Defining the execution context
- Setting target hardware information
- Analyzing and managing Bug Finder defects
- Detecting coding rule violations
- Measuring code metrics
Analyzing Polyspace Code Prover Results
Objective: Become proficient at interpreting Polyspace Code Prover results.
- Overview of abstract interpretation
- Call tree analysis
- Source code navigation
- Execution paths
- Variable ranges
- Global variable
Code Verification Checks
Objective: Find run-time errors using diagnostics available in Polyspcae Code Prover.
- Overview of C source code checks
- Location of checks in source code
- Description of checks
- Relevant verification options
Day 2 of 2
Managing Polyspace Code Prover Verifications and Results
Objective: Handle verification results that contain large amounts of unproven checks.
- Determining verification effort
- Performing a quick review
- Performing a selective orange review
- Setting verification precision
- Prioritizing orange checks
- Reviewing orange checks
Adding Precision to Polyspace Code Prover Verifications
Objective: Learn how Polyspace Code Prover treats missing code during verification, and how to affect this behavior to produce more meaningful verifications.
- Robustness verification and contextual verification
- Function stubbing
- Data range specification
- Manual stubbing
Objective: Learn how to manage verifications with increasing code complexity, and how to interpret and compare integrated analysis with robust analysis.
- Managing code modules
- Analyzing integration defects and rule violations with Bug Finder and Code Prover
- Importing comments
Objective: Review procedures and options that are useful when verifying complete applications.
- Setting up an application verification
- Improving the results of an application verification
- Detecting concurrency issues
- Comparing robustness and contextual verification