The course reviews some of the key concepts that will shape the next generation of mobile systems – the 5G.
Release 15, first 5G release is already closed while fully compliant 5G release is expected by 2020. 5G is not only about new radio technologies, but also network architecture revolutions providing a full convergence of mobile network and Internet industries. It is single end-to-end protocol standard for the future mobile Internet!
The course allows you to get understanding, the 5G Ecosystem and Technologies, in-depth. It reviews the 5G cutting-edge technologies and architecture like 5G Core Service Based Architecture (SBA) heterogeneous networks, device-to-device communications and others, as well as looks at 5G Internet of Things (IoT) solutions and virtualization methods like SDN and NFV.
The course also deals with the 5G major challenge of integrating technologies and concepts that were separately developed, into one network.
Basic knowledge of cellular networks is expected from the participants.
1. 5G vision and approach
1.1 Vision, Status and Roadmap
1.2 Insights into 5G network design and motivation
1.3 Standardization and Regulation activity
2. 5G Challenges and Requirements
2.1 5G diverse service use cases
• eMBB - Enhanced Mobile Broadband (EMBB)
• URLL - Ultra-Reliable and Low Latency Communications
• mMTC - Massive Machine Type Communications2.2 Service Challanges and Requirements 2.3 IMT2020 vision and standardization activity • IMT2020 Network KPIs Requirement - Mobility, Spectrum Efciency, Latency, Connection Density, Energy Effciency, Capacity, Data Rates, etc. • 5G Network Requirements
3. 5G Network Architecture3.1 NR and 5GC Architecture3.1.1 SBA - Service Based Architecture Model
3.1.2 Major Network Functions review (AMF, SMF, UDM, UPF, etc.) 3.1.3 Service Based Interfaces and Protocols (QUIC, HTTP2, etc.) 3.2 Deployment Alternatives – Including 5G as a centric core network
3.3 Mesh topology and Device-2-Device architecture
• System aspects
• Scenarios, Network architecture
• N3IWF – Inter Working Function Services
4. HetNets 20204.1 Small Cells and Relaying4.2 Core based / RAN based HetNets concept
5. Edge Computing and Slicing
5.1 MEC – Mobile Edge Computing
5.2 Slicing and Virtualization Architecture - SW centric Network
5.3 Exposure to 3rd Party
6. 5G QoS
6.1 QoS Model
6.2 Flow Characteristics 6.3 SDAP
7.1 Introduction to Virtualization 7.2 SDN – Software Defined Networking
• The SDN Concept
• SDN Controller
o The Northbound and Southbound APIs
o OpFlex and other controllers
• Openfloew protocol7.3 NFV - network functions virtualization
• ETSI ISG for NFV • VNF - Virtualized Network Functions – network function SW implementation• NFVI - NFV Infrastructure – The physical resources (compute, storage, network) and the virtual instantiations that make up the infrastructure • NFV MANO - Management and Orchestration • OPNFV - Linux Foundation NFV Open Platform• General NFV Solutions
8. IoT 8.1 IoT Verticals Typical Use-Cases 8.2 C-IoT - Cellular Licensed Spectrum Solutions 8.3 LPWAN Unlicensed Spectrum Solutions8.3.1 Wi-Fi HaLow, SigFox, LoRA, Ingenu (ex. On-Ramp).
9. 5G Radio and Physical Layer 9.1 The 5G Radio Principles 9.2 Multi-Connectivity Techniques 9.3 5G Spectrum allocation planning 9.4 5G Key Radio and PHY design across services 9.5 Device-2-Device radio considerations 9.6 vRAN /C-RAN • RRH (BBU) – Remote Radio Head (Baseband Unit).
10. 5G Radio Design and Channels 10.1 Uplink Physical Channels 10.2 Downlink Physical Channels 10.3 Synchronization Signals 10.4 Channel coding .
11. ICN - Information Centric Networking - brief 11.1 The ICN concept 11.2 NDN - Named Data Networking and CCN – Content Centric Network 11.3 Security Aspects.
12. Management and Orchestration for 5G Networks
12.1 Distributed Vs. Centralized Network architecture Management
12.2 SON – Self Organized Network
• SON/C-SON evolution
• SON alterative deployments
• Key SON features
o Base station self-configuration
o Cell outage detection and compensation
o Coverage and capacity optimization
12.3 Cloud Orchestration Platform (e.g. OpenStack and Ryu controller)
13. 5G Security
13.1 5G Security Vision 13.2 SDS – SW Defined Security and security virtualization 13.3 Elements of a 5G security architecture
13.4 5G-PPP NORMA Security Model